Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Do you have a song in your life?


The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.-- Johann Sebastian Bach
Although I love music, I find myself listening to the chatter in my mind more often than not. Or worse, some kind of talk radio. Probably what causes the chatter in my brain! I would love to say my heart sings the day away or that I'm humming through the mundane chores, but that's not the case. I write this post to remember the benefits of music in my own personal life. If you find what inspires you in your own heart, play it often. When I was growing up you could find me listening more often than not to the latest rock station. I have read the arguments against rock music and if that's a conviction you have, that's great. I'm still not sure on the subject. There are some really good songs that can be used for the winning of souls that are formed from rock and even rap. I know Jesus saved me with the influence of others and sometimes I can feel so disconnected from the cruel world. I forget where I have been and what others "out there" are going through. Music is an outlet to connect us, not only to our creator, but to each other. Should all music should be to the Lord, for His praise? As read through the psalms I see not all music was directed to Him. Music is an awesome way to draw others to the Creator of music! I have a desire to worship the Lord in song more than I do. Some people seem to do this effortlessly. I have to talk myself into it usually. My voice is crackly sometimes and I'm awkward when I try to keep any kind of beat. It truly is a sacrifice to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord" more times than not. Oh my heart sings, but do I?

Psa 40:3
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God:
many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

No comments: