Sunday, October 14, 2007

Honoring your husband

Some time ago, I began to set a routine in place that I called "Daddy's Homecoming." It was my way of preparing our home for my husband to walk in the door. By getting my children and myself in this mindset it created an honor for him. Everyone worked together to prepare for Daddy to come home. No matter what we had done that day, we would do a tidy-up just special for him. I added (not all the time, but I did try for it to be a regular routine) lighting the candles (for smell and ambiance) & putting on some relaxing music that I knew he enjoyed. The ultimate goal would be to have the children working quietly on a project, I'd check myself in the mirror (making sure to add my smile, no matter how exhausted I was) and hopefully have dinner close to done.

What exactly I did didn't matter as much as the mindset of preparing my home for his arrival. Some days I've been able to accomplish a lot more than others. Many times we would just clear the kitchen table, vacuum and throw frozen lasagna in the oven! But, the point is we were doing it FOR Daddy.

During this pregnancy I cut back on my daily to do list and somehow this fell by the wayside. Shame on me. My sweet husband has dealt with a lot through my pregnancy and helped a lot too. He more than deserves a little honor. Even if it's just stopping whatever I am doing when I know he'll be coming home, clearing the surfaces and putting on a smile, my husband needs to be esteemed in our home. This is VERY important, not only for our marriage, but for my children's marriage too. Tomorrow I will begin again to our routine of "Daddy's Homecoming."

What are some things you can do to honor your man?

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I've been trying to do the same thing each day in preparation for my husband coming home. A few months ago I asked DH to list 10 things that are important to him to be done around the house. My reason for asking him this was so that I could be sure to do the things that would communicate love to him rather than just seeing to the things that I see that need to be done. He listed simple things like having clean underware and socks each morning rather than having to dig through the dryer or a laundry basket. Another thing he appreciated was having our bathroom countertop cleaned. I was so happy to have him make this list. Once I added it up, it only took about 20 minutes to complete everything on the list! Some things take weekly attention, some daily, but it has been so worth it. I am not running myself ragged trying to make sure the napkins are all perfect in the napkin rings, or the books on the bookshelves are in perfect height order. Instead, I am able to do those things which bless him and that he notices quickly. I call it my DH "coming home blessing." I love the feeling I get when I genuinely feel like what I am doing will bless him by creating a nest for him to retreat to, complete with all of the little things that make him feel like a king.