Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Birth Story #1

Who doesn't like birth stories?? Heather has been posting her birth stories over at her blog, and with the recent knowledge that I'll be having another story here soon, I've decided to put mine up too. :o)

This story is of my now 7yo boy who is 4 1/2 feet tall and wears a size 7 in mens!! His obsession that I frequently pray for is Transformers. He loves the Lord with all he has though, I'm telling you. He sings with all his heart during service and people comment regularly what a wonderful example he is to the other children. He has blessed me beyond understanding. I love this my boy dearly. Never would have guessed who he would be now that day I met him in the hospital. I loved him at first sight. May the God of eternity, grant us eternal life with Him forever together. Amen.

Bear in mind I was not a Christian and not married at this time in my life.

I was working at a Lawyers office that was blocks away from my home, which was right down the street from the town hospital. That may have helped a little bit. But, throughout the entire pregnancy, I had total peace. I had no idea what to expect. I have always had a high tolerance for physical pain, maybe that also is why I didn't even really think too much about whether my baby would be difficult to deliver.

Well, let me first back up to when I first found out, since the whole story ties together. I had left the boyfriend (we now call him sperm donor, because he's long gone...) and was visiting family when I first found out. I remember I had a dream and saw my little boy running to me in a field saying, "mommy!" When I woke up at 5:30am, I knew right away I was pregnant. I ran to the bathroom and threw up. :o) Then, I took a shower. While I was in the shower I kept saying over and over to my baby I'm keeping you, I'm keeping you. Strange thinking really, because I never really thought about doing anything else, but I think the Lord knew some opposition would be coming. I didn't really know what to do. I told my mom first, actually I told her I wanted to come home early and she guessed right away. Then I went to a pregnancy clinic to figure out what to do next. How I got there I don't quite remember, but I do remember that they mentioned that I had options. I didn't honestly know what it was that they were implying until later on. After mentioning these things to me (sweet little old ladies too - UGH!!) they asked me if I wanted to have the baby. I said yes, as if I had really not even thought about anything else BUT to have him. Truthfully, I HAD already made my CHOICE, that was to get pregnant!!!!!! THAT was the time of decision!! Ohhh Kaayy, lets move on, shall we... So they gave me these little booties as if to say, well then, you've made your choice. But, I do still remember as I walked out the door they handed me information and seemed to think I was doing the wrong thing. Thank God that He protected me from understanding what they were trying to tell me.

Because I was so sick, I went to the emergency room. I had no idea, I thought that meant there was something wrong. But, I have to tell this part because I told the other story...The doctor who took me, for no other reason but to show me the baby (I know this now), gave me a sonogram. And told me she was in a similar situation as I was. Again, I really didn't understand that people were trying to persuade me in either direction, I was pretty set I had a living soul inside of me and I was going to do what needed to be done. But, I am thankful now for her. :o)

Ok, on to the actual birth story...
So, as I said, I lived and worked nearby the hospital. I didn't even know when the time came for me to be in labor, except that I was majorly sick that day. I think now that it was nerves telling me that I was going to have a baby later that day. I had had some back ache stuff going on, but didn't really think much about it. Because I felt so sick, I went home early from work. I remember a friend and my boyfriend (yes we got back together, I know, I know...) were drinking and having a time, while I was sitting on the steps of my apartment thinking to myself, "I'm going to have my baby. I'm ready. It's going to happen. I gotta go. Right. Now." So, I told them that I needed to go to the hospital. "The guy" took me, my parents showed up. No one was convinced I was going into labor, and even though I was quiet, I think I knew. The nurse took me up into a room and told me that they were going to give me "something" to calm my nausea and then I'd be going home. Well, just after she gave me whatever it was and told me I could start to get ready, my water broke right there on the bed! I remember talking to my dad and I was so shocked I cussed. (I know, remember I didn't know God. :-D) SO, since my water had broke, they moved me into the delivery room. I wish I knew hours and such, I'm not that good I remembering things like that. I do know that it was pretty quick. Altogether I think it was 5 hours, 1/2 hour pushing. I wish I knew for sure. I remember being in the rocking chair that was in the room for a long time, just breathing, kind of out of it. I remember at one point screaming and them telling me to breath. I also remember while I was pushing, after like the third push I started crying and said "I can't do this" and of course, I did. It only took like 7 pushes. And, after the "I can't do it" stage, came the euphoria. I remember the doctor telling me that my baby was coming. My mom was saying "look, look" and I (just as if I had done this a thousand times) reached down when I saw my baby coming, and pulled him right out, looked at him for a moment and put him on my chest. I was crying, some from exhaustion and some because I was so happy. I looked at him and he was BEAUTIFUL. I mean, good looking!! (he still is) I still don't know what prompted me to do that. I thought that that was just what I was supposed to do I think. It just seemed right to get him. I know a lot had to do with the atmosphere and the doctor obviously allowed the whole scene to take place. I love to think about this moment. It was all so wonderful.

No medication, nothing.
I am thankful though that the labor was pretty short. :-)

I spent the next few days sleeping with my newborn. No problems with nursing at all. The lactation consultant gave some pointers, but we just sort of figured it out. This boy did not come near a bottle except for once, and he would not have anything to do with it. Sadly the only way I knew to wean him was to leave him for a few days. :-( This was after he was a year old. He ran my life really. I didn't believe in discipline until I got saved. He was about 1 1/2 when I gave my life to the Lord. Then we met a man, a real man who loved God, who has become his Daddy. He knows of no one else but him as Dad. I thank God regularly for this. Really, I am so thankful!!!

I love telling this story, because it's almost like a dream to me. Tune in next time to hear the other birth that is not so dream like...

No comments: