Friday, July 13, 2007

Praying for our Children

Maybe it's the new book I'm reading (A Mothers Heart by Jean Fleming) but this past week or so I've made a point to pray over my children each morning (well, sometimes it winds up being later in the day), but it has become a priority. Yes, I was praying for them before, but praying over them has made a huge difference in my prayers for them. I pay more attention to details of what is going on in their life Right Now that I can pray for them about. I tend to pray even for the lives that stand before them and for the way that they can affect eternity. I can't tell you why this has made a difference, maybe it's the accountability of having them expect it from me. But, I've even begun to see a change in their own prayer lives. My oldest has made it more of a priority to find a spot to be alone with the Lord in order to seek His face.

Ladies, this is our number one priority. Yes, we want our little ones to learn to read, write and add. We also want them to be hard workers and obedient. But, above all, we want them to know and love the Lord. By being an example through prayer, you can lead them also to their knees. It also has set a tone for our home, to keep our hearts set on the important things. I especially urge you to pray for your children if you are struggling to be faithful to prayer. Like I said, it has paved a trail that my children have expected me to sit with them as I lift them up before the throne of God. Having them listen to what I am praying for them about, gives them a comfort to know that their problems, concerns and fears are in good Hands.

There is one duty we have before the Lord, and that is to be a helpmeet to our husbands. By caring for our children, by praying for their needs, we fulfill this calling. Just imagine your husband looking back on his life, his accomplishments and realizing that he has raised a his arrows to be strong in the Lord. This will above all things give him a sense of success that his life has made a difference.

Oh yeah, and your husband and children will rise up and call you blessed... :o)

So, gather your children together, spend time on each one making mention of them before the throne of the Most High. Ask them if there is something in particular they may want you to mention. If they don't have anything, be sure to be attentive to what kinds of things have been on their mind lately or activities going on that you can pray for them about. Remember that you will reap what you sow in the lives of your children. Sow the seed of prayer within their hearts.


1st Peter 4:7
But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

No comments: